A probationary officer (PO) or management trainee (MT), as the name signifies is the entry-level designation for a new employee when it comes to officer assignments in Indian banks. So how to become a PO then? Clearing the IBPS’s Common Bank Exam and Interview is the newly-set standard for most of the public sector banks in 2015. This process is collectively known as IBPS PO recruitment, and it starts in the second half of every year with the online registration for aspirants.
Becoming a PO at the younger age is a highly regarded professional achievement. From the Assistant Manager position at the start, a PO can progress into top offices, and can even become the managing director of the serving Bank if he/she gets selected at the right age and contributes significantly to the growth of the firm. The current MD of SBI, Mrs. Arundhati Bhattacharya joined the bank as a PO in 1977, and now she is the youngest administrator of the elite PSU at the age of 57.
The flowchart of the IBPS PO recruitment in 2015
Candidate apply for IBPS Exam within the specified dates –>Download Call letter for Pre-Exam Training– -> Pre-Exam Training in all States for reserved candidates –>Download call letter for the Preliminary online PO exam–> Publication of PO prelims results –> Notification to download Main exam call letter–> IBPS PO Main Exam –>Results–> Interview Call letter –>Common Interview–> Release of the Final/Combined results –>Allotment to the participating Banks.
- IBPS PO recruitment has several stages, as shown above, starting from the online registration of the applicants to the final placement in banks.
- From 2015, there will be two online exams for IBPS PO applicants. The first one is the preliminary exam of 100 marks and 1-hour duration. The second one is PO Main Exam with 200 questions and 2-hour duration..
- The Prelims is just a screening process to admit candidates to the PO Main examination; Its result has no value beyond this.
- The combined result, which is the sum of the scores in IBPS PO Main examination and interview has the final word in a candidate’s eligibility for placement.
- Banks will send the PO recruitees for a 2-year probation right after IBPS selection. The probation period, associated training and evaluation are conducted by the respective banks; IBPS has no/limited role in it.
- After training the candidate will be promoted as an Assistant Manager and will get a variety of banking duties depending on personal interest, and at the discretion of the institution. Eventually, a PO will head the various divisions of the bank during the service tenure. As of 2015, the gross salary of newly appointed Bank PO selected through IBPS is approximately 30,000/-INR (revision expected), and the CTC totals around 50000 /-INR for a Metro posting.
IBPS PO Recruitment 2015 application dates announced
As mentioned above, IBPS PO recruitment starts with the collection of online applications. IBPS will publish the schedule of the application process on their website, and all aspirants can apply within the dates stipulated in the latest notification. The calender of the ongoing PO recruitment is given, just below this line.
Registration with IBPS qualifies the candidates for the two-stage, objective style online PO exam. Tentative date of the IBPS PO exam 2015 is as listed above, however, the actual date and center of the online exam will be intimated to each candidate through a call letter a few weeks after the successful web enrollment. Before registration, one should thoroughly read the eligibility conditions for applying the PO exam. Typically, a candidate with a university degree, falling in 20-30 age-group is eligible for IBPS PO exam. (Age as on 01-07-2015)
Read the Full Eligibility requirements for IBPS PO Exam: Have a look at the Nationality part, and relaxation in age limits applicable to you.
IBPS has a newly introduced section in the PO application form for the candidates to choose Bank preferences. The preferences you enter here will be used to decide your final placement as a Probationary officer. Go to the list of IBPS enabled banks to prepare an order of banks in such a way that the bank you like most is the first one in the list, followed by others in descending order.
Apply online for IBPS PO Recruitment 2015 (Click the link to proceed with registration)
IBPS’s registration to all posts follows a particular order. We have listed the procedure, the documents you would need, and direct links to the application forms, for all the ongoing IBPS recruitments in the page mentioned above.
IBPS PO Exam preparation:
IBPS brought a significant change in the 2015’s PO recruitment with the introduction of a two-level exam. The syllabus of the new PO Main exam is very similar to the previous one. However, for IBPS PO Prelims, there are only three modules, English, quantitative aptitude, and reasoning. If you are new to the IBPS PO exams, go check the full outline of the examination to start with the preparations. Detailed syllabus and pattern of IBPS Exam.
- Quantitative aptitude and reasoning sections always have the typical puzzle style of questions which repeats every year with slight differences. Master the way of solving such questions by trying out the previous years IBPS PO papers. The quantitative aptitude test also includes simple and advanced arithmetic problems.
- The English module often incorporates “find the error” type questions, reading and interpreting passages, finding antonyms, synonyms, test of vocabulary, etc.
- Reading Economic Times and general news will greatly benefit you in solving the GK section of the IBPS PO exam. Study the general banking related terms, functions of RBI, etc.
- Computer knowledge is pretty easy for those who have studied computer subjects at degree or matriculation level. Try the IBPS computer questions listed in this page.
Books that we recommend for IBPS PO Exam in 2015.
The Best Seller Comprehensive guide to IBPS PO by Disha Experts: BUY
Pros: Designed for IBPS PO Prelims and Mains. It is a pretty big book with solutions for all the previous IBPS PO exams including 2014 paper. Good coverage on GK, Computers and English. Most of the questions are solved, and relevant explanations are provided.
Cons: Price (MRP is 600, but you can buy it from Amazon for just 360), a few printing mistakes.
There is an alternative for the above suggested book from Kiran Prakashan (BUY): This book has the advantage of being less pricey, and includes latest GK topics related to Union budget 2015, the recent Economic Survey, etc. If bad printing and paper quality is not a concern, you can definitely go for this book IBPS PO exam preparations which also contains previous years IBPS, SBI and RBI questions and answers.
Finally, we also recommend RPH’s SBI PO solved 1999-2014 (Buy): SBI and other PSU banks were organizing their own PO recruitments since the 90s until 2011 when IBPS common entrance was announced. The syllabus of SBI and IBPS exams is just the same. Therefore, you can use RPH’s SBI PO book to extend your knowledge and hands-on old Bank exam question papers.
Manorama Yearbook 2015 would fulfill your GK needs for the IBPS PO exam: Buy Comes with a CD-ROM.
A sample IBPS PO quiz based on previous exams.
Check the demo and instructions page to see how IBPS PO online exam works.