Regional Rural Banks (RRBs), also known as Co-operative Banks/Gramin Banks are comparatively new-age banking institutions in India. The Reserve Bank governs RRBs, and they are also under the control of Central/State Administration. There are hundreds of RRBs in India, but unlike the public sector banks, their area of service is mostly limited. In fact, the primary aim of an RRB is to foster banking services among the rural population in remote areas. RR Banks are well-acknowledged for their high-yielding FD schemes and low-interest agriculture loans. Many RRBs have already introduced or in the process of implementing ATMs, Internet banking and other latest services for their customers. RRBs, being a financial institution, require a workforce similar to an ordinary Bank, and they now depends on the IBPS facilities for recruiting the right individuals.
What is IBPS RRB Recruitment?
Don’t get confused between the IBPS RRB recruitment and the Railway Recruitment Board exam; they are entirely different. IBPS RRB recruitment begins with an objective model online test. Candidates have to do online registration for this exam, arranged at a proper time in every year. NABARD, the supervising-body that controls the whole RRB-functioning have had assigned the responsibility of “RRB recruitment” to IBPS in 2012. Since then IBPS is organizing this “universal bank exam” for RRBs. A scorecard is issued to the successful participants of the RRB exam which they may use to apply for all the individual RRB job notifications/interviews in the subsequent year.
- IBPS RRB winners get a physical scorecard*: visit this page to know about the current job opportunities that are open for registration.
- Unlike the PO, Clerk, Specialist exams, here, IBPS is only a testing partner. RRBs themselves does interview and placement.
- More than 50 Regional Rural banks listed on this page recruits through this exam.
- Regional Rural Banks appoints candidates to 4 different posts through this recruitment process; RRB Assistants and RRB officers ( Scale 1, 2, 3).
- A candidate may apply for IBPS RRB Assistant and one of the three RRB Officer posts. However, a separate online application form and fees should be submitted to the Institute or each cadre.
- IBPS RRB aspirants can apply only to those Rural Banks located in their State of residence. However, people who have studied the local language of another State at graduation/10th/+12 levels are eligible for RRB recruitment drives taking place in that locality. Officer Scale 2 and 3 positions are completely exempted from this condition.
Now let’s talk about the IBPS RRB Exam in 2014.
Each IBPS RRB positions require the candidate to have distinct education qualifications apart from the age-requirements under the existing law. Check the above given link to find an RRB exam that is befitting to you.
IBPS RRB job profiles:
RRB Assistant: A Clerical level employee who is skilled in the local language of the area of service.
RRB Officer Scale 1: An entry-level officer duty in Rural Banks that start with a probation period.
RRB Officer Scale 2: Direct recruitment to mid-level managerial positions. This post also accommodates specialists like CAs, MBAs, and IT, Law, Agriculture officers who have relevant experience in the banking field.
RRB Officer Scale 3: The online exam in this category leads to the top management roles in the RRBs -selected professionals also gets the duty of heading the branches or sections.
The syllabus and pattern of the RRB exam varies in accordance with the “Scale or Post” chosen by the applicant, and there will be separate online examinations for each category. Refer the page given above for extensive details on IBPS RRB syllabus.
IBPS RRB Exam 2014-2015 dates
IBPS announced the schedule and important dates of forthcoming RRB exam on June 16th of 2014. A screenshot of the dates took from IBPS notification is attached below.
Have a look at the eligibility and syllabus of the IBPS RRB exam by browsing to the links given just above the schedule (screenshot). If you are eligible, you may go forward and apply for the exam within the dates specified in the notification.
Final thought: Is it worth applying for RRB posts?
RRBs are government aided financial institutions. Banks like SBI, Canara, UBI, etc., are the major sponsors of popular Gramin Banks out there. Frequently monitored from upper channels, RRBs often scores better than average in “job security” department. Officers working at RRBs get industry-standard salary and perks, analogous to PSUs and private sector banks. The opportunity to work in home-state, moderately flexible job hours, a lower workload, and the pride of serving rural India are a few added advantages.