Earlier students used to get a campus placement just before they complete their course. However, opportunities are pretty flat in recent times, notably in the IT sector. Lakhs of professionals are passing out in every year, and with the limited number of jobs available, everyone is in a dilemma, where to go, at least, to get some experience.
Since graduation is the basic qualification to apply for Bank Exams, the career immediately strikes the freshers. Parents and relative nowadays think Bank Job as a status symbol in the marriage market, no wonder you see their wards in IBPS coaching centers. I even know people from the medical sector preparing for the IBPS PO Exam.
No offense, everybody has the right to do it; try and find the best life has in store for you.
IBPS PO salary & benefits in 2017
As shown below, a newly inducted IBPS PO in Scale-1 is eligible for a minimum salary of 38200 INR. This amount is calculated by adding the Basic Pay, Special allowance, and DA recommended by IBA, as of August 2017, along with CCA and HRA. Currently, DA is 47.8% and is applicable on the Basic and Special Allowance.
The salary mentioned here is exclusive of taxes (Professional & Income) and the deduction to the contributory pension scheme. Normally after a 10.5% cut, the in-hand salary of an IBPS PO is approximately 34000.
On the above illustration DA is calculated @43%. However, as of August 2017 the DA for Bank employees is 47.8. Please use the latest value for your calculations.
Scale 1 officers are eligible for increments at different levels as per the Salary Scale. Banks offer promotions to the probationary officers based on their service tenure, in-house assessment tests, and by taking the performance parameters.
Apart from the salary, a Bank PO is entitled to medical, Newspaper, entertainment, travel, telephone, festival, project allowances, and loans at preferential rates. However, the nature of such benefits varies from institution to institution.
IBPS PO dates in 2017: important steps of the recruitment
The following table shows the schedule and corresponding dates for the new and upcoming IBPS PO exam in 2017. The table also illustrates the steps involved in IBPS PO recruitment 2017, starting from the online registration to allotment phase.
Candidates applying for the IBPS PO have to go through all these procedures for getting a Probationary Officer job in Indian banks.
How to apply for IBPS PO Exam 2017?
- Registration for IBPS PO is through an online application form provided by IBPS. Candidates interested in applying for the PO recruitment should visit IBPS’s web portal during the term specified in the IBPS PO advertisement..
- Registration for IBPS PO (VI) will start on 16-08-2017 .
- If you want to know the general conditions, you may download and check last year’s IBPS PO notification here. 
IBPS PO eligibility requirements
The following are the latest and revised eligibility norms for applying IBPS PO recruitment in 2017.
- Educational Eligibility: Pass in a degree programme from a reorganized Indian university. Candidates currently perusing their course are not eligible to apply, however, there is an exception if the final year result gets announced before the last date of ibps registration.
- Age: 20-30 as of 01-07-2017, applicable to candidates without reservation.
The relaxation given above applies to SC/ST and minority classes. They may also claim cumulative relaxation up to a maximum of one additional category in the list.
IBPS PO syllabus and pattern of the exam
IBPS PO exam is traditionally an online exam where the candidates take their test on computers assigned to them at a particular center. In 2015, IBPS introduced a two-stage examination process for PO Recruitment, and they are expected to follow the same in 2017.
- There will be two online exams, a Preliminary and Mains. A candidate has to pass the Prelims to take the Main Examination.
- The result of the Main examination determines the participant’s eligibility for attending interviews and later stages of the recruitment.
- Both Preliminary and Main Exams are in objective mode.
- All tests except the part “English Language” can be attempted in Hindi medium.
- The latest syllabus for IBPS PO is this,Questions carry one mark each. Candidates may skip questions. However, there is negative marking (1/4) for wrong answers. The score obtained by competitors after subtracting the negative marks is called the corrected score.
- The corrected score will be further tuned to obtain a cut-off score. Candidates need to secure a minimum cut-off score defined by IBPS to pass the Prelims and Mains.
It is a bit difficult for any organization to conduct multiple exams for recruitment. However, considering a large number of participants applying for IBPS PO, a quality control comes as necessary. And thus, we have the Prelims. Having the prelims help IBPS to allocate more resources for the Main Exam, and organize it in a single day.
IBPS PO sample questions: a quiz
Now that you know about the subjects why not try-out a few sample questions asked in the last year’s IBPS PO exams?
0 of 2 questions completed
IBPS Clerk Mock test: Sample questions taken from most recent IBPS Clerk Mains and Prelimenary Exams
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
- General/ Financial Awareness 0%
1. Question1 pointsCategory: General/ Financial Awareness
FED also known as the Federal Reserve system is the Central bank of which country?CorrectIncorrect
2. Question1 pointsCategory: General/ Financial Awareness
Which agency in india provide refinance of export credit?CorrectIncorrect
Best Books for IBPS PO Exam in 2017
Leading publishers out there have released the 2016th edition of their books for the PO exam. We have short-listed a few titles which we believe as a must for IBPS PO aspirants. Check them below.
Kiran’s Bank PO Solved papers: This book comes with a collection of solved questions taken from last year’s IBPS, SBI and RBI PO recruitments from 2011 to 2016. Kiran publication has also included current affairs, question papers from BOB Manipal online exam, and NICL ADO exam as additional resources in this book. Although IBPS recently changed the structure of their examinations, the content of this book gives a quick idea of the types of questions usually asked in IBPS PO; you can prepare a strategy according to this model. On the downside, there are a few mistakes in this book, and printing quality is also not up-to the mark. Buy Now.
Comprehensive guide to IBPS PO: This one is the revised edition of Comprehensive Guide, last year’s best-seller on Amazon for IBPS PO recruitment. The authors have updated the content to include the changes in IBPS PO recruitment. The book now follows the latest pattern of IBPS online examination and contains solved papers from 2016’s IBPS PO Prelims and Mains Exam. The cost of the book is around 435 INR if you buy the hard-copy, but there is also an option to download the digital copy through Amazon Kindle for just 133 INR. Buy Now.
Manorama YearBook 2017: Be it Bank Exam, Civil service, UPSC or any other entrance test, the Manorama Yearbook is the best book you can get when it comes to general knowledge. It is a compact and highly rated product in the online stores in India, and you get it for just 149INR. Buy Now
IBPS PO Interviews, results, cut-off score, and final allotment
Since there are multiple sessions for the Prelims, the difficulty level for applicants will be different. IBPS uses equalization methods on corrected scores obtained by the candidates in PO Prelims to decide the cut-off score. The cut-off will be applied on Prelims result before candidates are allowed to participate in the Mains Exams. Similarly, they will also devise a cut-off score for the Main Exam taking all the parameters mentioned earlier and the community-based quotas. These cut-off scores, something above the minimum level decides a candidate’s progress to the interviews phase.
The above-given screenshot shows the IBPS cut-off for the PO Mains Exam held in 2017. About 40600 candidates who scored above this level were allowed to participate in the IBPS PO interview held in January 2017.
- IBPS PO interviews are usually held in local head offices of the participating banks.
- Typically, there will be four dignitaries in the panel, including a woman.
- All documents will be verified at the venue before the candidates are passed for the interviews.
- IBPS has assigned 100 marks for the interviews.
- The final result is formed in such a way that score in the Main Exam and Interview will be in ratio 80:20.
Candidates qualified in the IBPS PO interview, and the Main Exam got their final combined result, on April , 2017, and now waiting for their provisional allotment. A list of successful applicants will be published on IBPS website in a few days, with details like rank, name of the Bank where they get PO job, place of posting, etc. All communications will be addressed to the email and mobile number provided during IBPS PO registration.
Do you have any doubt regarding the upcoming IBPS PO Exam in 2017? Leave it as a question in our comment section; we will get back to you.