LIC needs no introduction, a well-known brand name for the majority of us, is the biggest insurance company in India. Constituted by an Act of Parliament 60 years ago, Life Insurance Corporation of India presently operates from more than 3000 offices, and the managed-assets under the company already crossed a whopping 16 lakh crores. LIC is also one of the greatest employers in India; as of 2015, the company has a reported employee strength close to 1L, and, at least, 10 Lakh agents. The officers and regular employees in LIC of India are chosen through an online entrance test, that is now managed by IBPS.
Earlier, we have talked about IBPS recruitment to the insurance companies like UIIC, NICL and OICL for the post of Clerks and Officers. LIC also employs IBPS’s assistance for the selection of candidates to the job profiles of AAO (Assistant Administrative Officer) and ADO (Apprentice development officer).
Update: Check your LIC AAO Exam result here.
Job profile of an LIC Officer AAO/ADO.
Advantages of a career at LIC:
- Duty of the AAO is generally office-oriented: assignments include managing accounts, communicating daily affairs with authorities, planning branch activities, implementing decisions taken at higher levels, dealing with legal matters, processing claims, marketing, taking advertising strategies, managing funds, etc.
- LIC ADO or apprentice development officer is responsible for policy sales, and hiring new agents for the corporation. LIC ADO is one of the officials who trains and guides the agents on policy servicing and customer assistance.
- AAO job is not directly involved in LIC policy sales, so they don’t have any targets. ADOs may have sale targets to achieve, and their promotion and emoluments are associated with the business they bring in.
- AAO Job is suitable for both men and women. However, ADO position may involve traveling and field work; it would be difficult for the women officers who are not experienced in sales.
- The latest salary figure of an LIC AAO is just above 40000/- (revision expected in 2016), and is more than what a Bank PO gets. ADOs have lower salaries, but their earning potential is unlimited on account of the commission revenue.
- Sundays and Saturdays are holidays for LIC Officers.
- LIC officers are entitled for life insurance at lower premium, health coverage, gratuity, PF, loans. etc.
One disadvantage of this career option is that the LIC requires the newly appointed officers to sign a job contract/bond for four years from the date of their joining. You will have to pay around 2 Lakhs to the corporation if you wish to switch to a better job in this period.
LIC Recruitment 2016
The LIC recruitment exercises the same arrangement of IBPS recruitments in the insurance category. Following chart represents the events planned for 2016’s intake.
LIC notifies the recruitment–> IBPS’s opens web form for the online registration—> Candidates get the call letter—> LIC Exam —-> Results on LIC website—> Interview call letter—> Common Interview –> Medical screening—> Final results—> Selection, followed by training and probation at LIC offices.
Update: Download LIC AAO Exam call letter here.
LIC Recruitment online registration dates
LIC announces the job vacancies on their official website www.licindia.in, in the “careers” section. You can also find the dates and schedule of the ongoing LIC recruitment on this page.
The last LIC recruitment was for ADO selection. The registration for this hiring process ended on 03-06-2015. You can read schedule of the ADO exam on the ibps application page.
New* As of December 2016, LIC is taking online application from graduates to the post of AAO (Administrative Officers). One can register with IBPS to participate in the LIC Exam until 05-01-2016. The online examination for this recruitment is planned in March 2016.
There is a total of 700 vacancies to which eligible candidates may apply through the IBPS web application form for LIC AAO exam. The application fee is 600 INR for general, and 100 INR for reserved candidates excluding transaction charges.
Registration for the LIC Of India AAO Recruitment ends. You can edit and submit or view your application status here.
Latest eligibility requirement for LIC Recruitment
The minimum eligibility for applying LIC exam in 2016 is a Bachelor/Masters Degree from an Indian university approved by UGC/Government. There is also an age condition; candidates should be at least 21 years as on 01-12-2015 to apply for the recruitment in this session, and the upper age limit is 30 years. Legally allowed consideration in age-criteria is available for LIC employees, Ex-Servicemen, and other backward classes as listed below.
LIC Exam Syllabus
Those who are preparing for bank exams would find the syllabus of the LIC Exam pretty similar to what you already know, but here the marking scheme is a bit different. The syllabus of the LIC Exam looks relatively simpler when matched to the two-stage exams IBPS conducts for Clerical Cadre in these days.
Negative marking is there, and it will be like 1/4 of the mark assigned to each question. The English test in LIC Exam is just for a qualifying analysis, the 40 questions in this section carry zero marks.
IBPS will arrange a pre-exam training for the candidates applying for the LIC recruitment, who falls into the reserved category. Choose the appropriate option when you sign-up for the exam in order to get this facility.
RPH publishers have released a new book for students getting ready for Insurance Exams to public companies like LIC, UIIC, NICL, and OICL. The latest 2015 edition of “LIC AAO Exam Guide” covers all sections of the syllabus, and also includes knowledge of insurance sector, current affairs and solved previous years question papers from 2011-2015. Click Here to buy the book.
LIC Interviews and allotment
The concluding stage of the LIC recruitment is the interview. Those who get the minimum expected score in all subjects will get an invitation on their registered mobile phone/email along with a link to download the hall ticket for the interview. LIC in association with IBPS will prepare a combined mark list after the interviews, and then comes the declaration of the final results. Those who get selected will undergo a medical screening as per the policies of the corporation, and subsequently get enlisted in the company for a probation period of up to two years.